SCPA sent hundreds of petitions this week to the supermarket chain Publix asking it to publicly sever its ties to the notorious right wing political action group ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council. Funded by the Koch brothers, ALEC has devolved from a business trade organization to promoting a wide range of right wing causes, including voter suppression laws, gun rights, prison privatization and limiting reproductive rights, that are well outside the business interests of a supermarket chain. You grocery shopping should not generate profits that support laws such as Stand Your Ground. (see ALECexposed website) The petitions to Publix read as follows:
PETITION TO PUBLIX SUPER MARKETS INC.
DROP ALEC MEMBERSHIP & SUPPORT
WHEREAS Publix Super Markets purports to be dedicated to the dignity, value and employment security of their associates, to act as responsible citizens in our communities, to be committed to sustainability, and both employs and serves Floridians from all walks of life;
WHEREAS ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council) develops and advocates for legislation that has devastating impacts on public education, consumer protections, environmental protections, workersʼ rights, equitable healthcare systems, voting rights and just tax policies;
WHEREAS ALEC, organized as a charitable nonprofit, clearly skirts the law restricting lobbying activities and gifts to politicians;
WHEREAS Florida legislators have used ALEC resources to:
• introduce Arizona-style anti-immigrant legislation.
• pass Voter ID & election laws disenfranchising the elderly, poor and students,
• roll back laws on corporate accountability, worker protections, prevailing and minimum wages and labor organizing rights,
• introduce a misleading and ineffective constitutional amendment to undo Obamacare,
• introduce legislation to promote the sale of deceptive, ineffective health insurance policies that do not meet Floridaʼs minimal state standards,• •
• pass the controversial "Stand Your Ground" law which has resulted in multiple deaths,
• introduce and pass legislation to privatize and weaken the public school system, including the granting of virtual charter school status to online schooling corporations and controversial teacher performance evaluation requirements,
• introduce legislation to privatize the state prison system to the detriment of taxpayers,
• introduce and pass legislation hindering the ability of government to regulate and curb polluters;
the undersigned Publix shoppers request that Publix Super Markets join Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS Caremark and dozens of other corporations operating in Florida and the Southeastern U.S., and immediately drop membership and all other forms of support for ALEC.